Just went out to see this great comedy, "Legally Blonde, the Musical" today at Ruth Eckerd Hall for the Performing Arts in Clearwater, FL. If you have seen either of the Legally Blonde movies, you have the basic gist of the story but this has relevant songs to tell the story. The "road show" has younger performers (20-somethings) which is perfectly suited to this musical about Elle Woods who's graduating college and leaving her Delta Nu ("valley girl") sorority sisters for Harvard Law to reclaim her ex-bf.This was my first time out in a long time -- last one was Ruth Eckerd Hall for ZZ Top a year ago. (I gotta get out more!) The crowd was predominantly (predictably) teeners & 20-somethings (& parents, in many cases.) So the audience was receptive from the get-go and enjoyed the performance and showed it with applause throughout. More teeners wore pink (Elle's "signature color") than anyone, and I was the only guy I saw in a pink shirt (C'mon, I HAD to wear it!) But the storyline explained that the only men who wear pink are GAY! Oops, MY bad! The storyline continued to say, "OR are EUROPEAN!" So that became my joke, "I'm not gay, I'm European!" when anyone seemed to notice my pink shirt.
I was disappointed when I got to the souvenir kiosk! They haven't produced DVD's of this Broadway show yet altho they had thousands of the original Reese Witherspoon movie in DVD. I think they misjudged the MOVIE sales cuz surely everyone who was interested in paying $40 - $70 for a seat already had seen the same DVD at home. But the kiosks DID have classy T-shirts and a CD for $20 of the original Broadway cast recording of Legally Blonde, the Musical! It has all the songs & gives an accompanying libretto with all the words -- I am going to sit down and read each word as I listen to the songs so that I can finally catch some of the lines I missed during the stage action! I should mention that the stage action especially kept MY attention! Very shapely bodies in slightly revealing costuming that was tres college-sorority-girl chic. The props & scenery were excellent in appearance and ingeniously movable! And the singing voices were all very good! The whole show was highly entertaining and especially enjoyable if you let yourself get swept into the "Elle Woods mindset!"
Of course, this matinee let out at suppertime and I had to pass by the Palm Harbor WingHouse on the way home. Naturally, I stopped for supper and traded hugs with all the 20-something Easter Bunnies working the WingHouse, one way or another. But that is another story for another time.... Hope you had a Happy Easter, too! Hop-Hop-Hop!!! Daddy Rabbit's outta here!

Post a Comment